Everyday Gourmet

Everyday Gourmet
We've got a whisk, and we know how to use it!

Saturday, March 16, 2013

ST. PATRICK'S DAY APPETIZERS

I never thought I was Irish, but in the last year or so, I learned that my ancestor with the Scottish name immigrated here from County Antrim in Northern Ireland. I guess that counts as Irish. In fact, my plans for the next big trip will be to Scotland and Ireland, That's another story.
kl
In the meantime I've been invited to a St. Patrick's Day Party and I need to take an appetizer. I will find our trusty "500 appetizers" cookbook and begin my search.
 Voila! Or Faith, and I've Found It!!!

  Prociutto-Wrapped Asparagus with Lemon Mayo**

These sophisticated bites make and irresistible  nibble with apertifs or as a more formal appetizer. You can prepare everything ahead, then simply pop them in the oven when your guests arrive.

1/2 cup mayonnaise                                                      8 asparagus tips
Grated zest of 1 lemon                                                 8 wafer-thin slices prosciutto, cut in strips*
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice                                              Olive oil, for drizzling
1/2 tbsp. snipped fresh chives                                      Ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Combine the mayonnaise, lemon zest. juice and chives in a serving dish. Cover and place in the refrigerator.

Wrap each asparagus tip in a strip of procuitto, arrange on a baking sheet, and drizzle with the oil. Sprinkle with a little black pepper and roast for 6-7 minutes, until tender.

Transfer the prociutto-wrapped asparagus to a platter and serve with the lemon mayo.

I think I'll try some ham slices.  Seems a little more "Irish."

Happy eating on Saint Patrick's Day.
**Picture and recipe from 500 appetizers by Susannah Blake


No comments:

Post a Comment